Through funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF award #1041034), UGA Marine Sciences Department, Dr. Brian Hopkinson, three Georgia formal educators and COSEE SE staff developed state aligned lessons for students in grades 3-12 focused on carbon, ocean acidification, and pH.
These lessons were created as elementary lessons to introduce students to carbon, the carbon cycle, and changing pH in the oceans. Although written for elementary students, these are great lessons for students with little or no background in these concepts or processes.
- Exploring the Scientific Method with Seashells and pH(PDF, 257 KB)
- Introduction to Carbon and the Carbon Cycle (PDF, 2.07 MB)
Oceanic Carbon Chemistry and the pH Relationship Lesson and Lab Overview (PDF, 120 KB) is comprised of three lessons and labs focusing on carbon dioxide, strengths and properties of acids and bases, and interpreting and graphing real data pertaining to ocean acidification. Students will learn new vocabulary, link changing oceanic pH levels to changing carbon dioxide levels, and work with indicator solutions in regards to acids and bases. Student data sheets, worksheets, and teacher worksheets are included below.
- Acid and Base pH and Indicator Lab(PDF, 135 KB)
- Carbon Chemistry and pH (Student Worksheet)(PDF, 130 KB)
- Carbon Chemistry and pH (Teacher Worksheet)(PDF, 296 KB)
- Using & Graphing Scientific Data:pH levels, Oceanic Carbon Dioxide, and Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide (PDF, 285 KB)
pH, Carbon Cycle, and Ocean Acidification Lesson and Lab Overview (PDF, 372 KB) is comprised of three lessons and labs focusing on ocean acidification, pH, impacts of carbon dioxide on water chemistry, and sources and sinks of carbon. Students will work on balancing equations, learn new vocabulary, and compare carbon dioxide fluctuations on different types of water. Supplemental materials, lab sheets, presentations, and worksheets are included below.
- K-W-L Chart for Students(PDF, 78 KB)
- K-W-L for Students (Answer Key)(PDF, 84 KB)
- Lesson and Lab #2: Carbon Dioxide Impacts on pH (Worksheets & Lab Reports)(PDF, 237 KB)
- Lesson & Lab #3: Ocean Acidification’s Connection to the Carbon Cycle (Student and Teacher Worksheets)(PDF, 176 KB)
- Supporting Ocean Acidification Powerpoint (PPTX, 535 KB)
Resources and Powerpoints
- Background on Ocean Acidification(PDF, 71 KB)
- What is Carbon- Introductory Powerpoint(PPTX, 3.7 MB)
- Carbon and Ocean Acidification Powerpoint (PPTX, 535 KB)
Special thanks to:
Nancy Boyle, Peeple Elementary School, Hall County, Georgia
Susan Noakes, Malcolm Bridge Middle School, Oconee County, Georgia
Vicki Soutar, Oconee County High School, Oconee County, Georgia
COSEE South East, August 2012. Web page.